Monday, January 20, 2014

January Decorating: Switching It Up In the Kitchen {With Sign Tutorial}

Pin It
 
Happy Monday!
We have a 2-hour delay this morning, which is such a lovely way to start the week! ;)
 
I made a new sign for my kitchen. 
It gives me the little attitude adjustment I need sometimes...
 
Like when I'm changing a dirty diaper with one hand, swatting away a foot that's trying to kick me with the other, listening to the dog bark, blowing a stray bang out of my eye, wondering if I'll actually make it to the shower that day, thinking about all of the things I'd like to get done, while swallowing a curse word that's just about to come out of my mouth...I need a sign that will tell me how it is. 
 
So I made one.  :)
1.  My "sign strategy" is always to make a vinyl stencil using my Silhouette Cameo. 
2.  I always use acrylic craft paint, usually Martha Stewart brand. In this case, I really wanted this sign to look simple and matter-of-fact, so I opted to use black paint for my text.
3.  You can see how the sign looks after I'm done stenciling with a small sponge brush.
4.  I peel the stencil off and tada!  A finished sign. {There is usually a little touch-up involved.}
5.  {Not pictured}  I roughed up the sign using a piece of sand paper.
 
Could you use a sign like this? 
What would yours say?
 
Have a great day! :)
 

5 comments:

  1. Love your sign! The saying is perfect and I love the way you wrapped the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely sign and I love the reminder it brings!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...it gives me a dose of perspective! :) Thanks, Selene!

      Delete