Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Decorating in January...{The Hardest Month of the Year to Decorate}

Pin It
Hi!
Remember me?
I'm April, and I have a blog...
I ended up taking a bit of a break after the holidays to regroup, recharge, and figure out how the heck I was going to decorate my house after the holidays were over.

January is always the hardest time of the year for me to decorate.

It's always fun in the fall to pull out the gourds and halloweeny stuff.
Then come the holidays with the bright lights, warm colors, beautiful tablescapes, and the festive d├ęcor...

Then comes January.
And I get stumped.
 
I'm happy with how my mantel came together, and I'll be giving you some more details about my window grate photo display later this week... {$30 Thursday, anyone?}

It's too bad my "decorator" has "other ideas" for how my living room should look most of the time.
It's a good thing she's so cute, or we'd have some serious issues...

Have a great day and Happy NYE!
Mr. Hoff and I might get to get out of the house and go watch the ball drop somewhere....woohoo!!!



18 comments:

  1. January is always a hard month for me to decorate for also. I miss the sparkle and twinkle lights of December. Your mantel turned out fabulous if you ask me. love the chalkboard and the family photos. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin! I'm going to continue the "decorating in January" theme throughout the month...hopefully it will be inspiring! Have a great day! :)

      Delete
  2. ahhhh I love that chalkboard art! Such a pretty mantel (as always!) Happy New Year friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your January decor is nice and clean! I always go with a snow and ice crystal theme. I keep some of my greenery up, a few strands of the white lights, and add snowflakes and clear or silver decorations. It still keeps the house festive and things don't seem as bleak after Christmas is packed away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a nice wintery transition! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. Ooh so pretty! I'm kind of trying to put off decorating until closer to February so I can just put up Valentine's stuff, but my house is looking SO blank. Now you have me thinking of ideas... ;) Thanks for the inspiration, April!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could try to wait that long to decorate my mantel....but I would never succeed! :) Thanks, Abby!

      Delete
  5. This is beautiful! I especially love the chalkboard window. I actually haven't even put away our Christmas decorations yet, but your post has inspired me to get to it today so I can put together a wintry mantle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lyndsay! Good luck, I'm sure you'll come up with something beautiful! :)

      Delete
  6. Love your January mantel April. The VW chalkboard art and your amazing photo grate are so unique and creative. .I've been working on our "winter" decor thus week and I think I'm enjoying the subdued calm look once all the Christmas decorations are gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I wanted something clean, fresh and un-Christmasy! :)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous mantle! The chalkboard art is awesome! If you get a chance, please link up to my link party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2014/01/sunday-linky-39.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree about January being so hard to decorate for....and once the Christmas decorations are down things just look so bare! Love what you did with the mantel though, and I really love the finish on the window chalkboard. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie! I found that old window on the side of the road...I couldn't believe my luck! I just added chalkboard paint, and it's one of my favorite pieces in the house! :)

      Delete
  9. Awe, I remember my daughter wore her tutu for an entire summer! Your photo brings back that memory:) Love your VW chalk art and clipped photos. Pinning Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'll look back on those photos and they'll melt my heart someday...Well, come to think of it, they already do! :) Thanks for pinning, Michele!

      Delete