Thursday, February 7, 2013

DIY Chalkboard Table + 2 Shabby Chairs

Pin It

I am beyond excited this morning to announce that Shayna, from The Wood Grain Cottage, and I are joining forces in a new monthly series called $30 Thursday!

On the first Thursday of each month, we'll be challenging ourselves to bring you crafty, thrifty, or DIY projects that we spent $30 or less on!

I'd like to introduce you to my first $30 Thursday project:

The story of this little table and chairs begins months ago.  I found them at a garage sale last summer .  I knew that Miss L. would get a lot of mileage from this little table and chair set!
Like many of my thrifty finds, this little table and chairs sat in our basement for a few months.  Then I saw this great tutorial from Houzz.com about making a chalkboard table top.  As the article points out, chalkboard table tops are durable, wipable, and very kid-friendly. I knew it would be the perfect fit for my little garage sale treasure!
 
The table was an easy fix!  First, I sanded and primed the whole thing.  Then, I painted the base with American Accents "Heirloom White"  The top got two coats of Rust-Oleum's Chalkboard Paint in "Black Finish".  I used a brush for both the base and table top.
*Note*  I keep both American Accents "Heirloom White" and Rust-Oleum's Chalkboard Paint in "Black Finish" in my paint supply at all times.  I do quite a bit of furniture painting, and I want the whites to all match!
 
The chairs were a bit of a different story.  After brushing white primer on both of these chairs, I vowed to never brush paint these spindly little chairs ever again.  It took way. too. long.  So, I spray painted them with Krylon's "Blue Ocean Breeze".  (You can find this color just about anywhere, but it's cheapest at Wal-Mart at $3.50 a can!)
 
As soon as the spray paint dried, I roughed up these little chairs with a medium grit sand paper.  I sanded harder in places that I wanted the wood to come through, and lighter in places to let some of the white primer show.
 
I'm deeelighted with how this little project turned out!
 
And so is Miss L!
 
Here's Shayna's project:


To see Shayna's project, DIY Stackable Fruit Crates, click on over to The Wood Grain Cottage.
 How cool are those?!?

Shayna and I are starting a $30 Thursday Pinterest Board to keep our projects in one place for all to see!  Click the link to start following our thrifty projects!

Have a great day! :)

Linking up at:
The 36th Ave,  House of Hepworths,  Southern Lovely, DIY Show Off, Crafty,Scrappy, Happy, Tatertots and Jello, It's Overflowing, A Jennuine Life, Pinterest Power Party, Thrifty Decor Chick's Before and After Party

 
Follow on Bloglovin

26 comments:

  1. Way cute! Just pinned! I made a chalkboard table but left the chairs matchy matchy- love the bright color you used!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The color choice was a no-brainer for me...I have turquoise accents everywhere! :)

      Delete
  2. Love it April! So fun!:)
    -Shayna
    www.TheWoodGrainCottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. way cute!!!! love your idea of the party... now i want to get in on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you are invited if you want in on this action! :)

      Delete
  4. Love that stackable fruit/veggie crate!!

    anythingbetween

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Isn't it so cool? You can tell, by the way that she made it, that she really put a lot of thought and time into it...it paid off! :)

      Delete
  5. adorable! i need to makeover my little girl's table and the chalkboard top is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your transformation! I know my little guys would love a table like this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! If your boys have toy cars, wouldn't it be fun to draw little roads or a race track on it? Endless possibilities! :)

      Delete
  7. Both of these projects couldn't be cuter! What a great garage sale find on the table and chairs - adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out great! I think it would be a great idea for our playroom table that is in need of a new paint job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely love this! You did a great job! What a find on the table and chairs too!! New follower ~ would love to have you check out my site too!
    www.ourlittlehome98208.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this concept! And I love how your project turned out - great color scheme! I'd love it if you stopped by to link up at Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays at A Jennuine Life. http://www.ajennuinelife.com/2013/02/thrifty-to-nifty-thursdays-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Turned out absolutely gorgeous! Love the blue. :) Megan

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute, and so functional! What great colors you used!! It's been pinned! Have a wonderful weekend! P.S. what a darling little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your little miss will enjoy this for years. You chose two of my favorite go-to colors: heirloom white and ocean breeze. Love the distressed touches.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi April...just wanted to let you know that we featured your pretty chairs and table at The Inspiration Gallery. Thank you so much for sharing. http://www.craftberrybush.com/2013/02/the-inspiration-gallery-features_9.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is adorable! What a great idea! Love it ;)
    Jamie ~ Better With Age

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks gorgeous! Great job, April! Excited that you're teaming up with Shayna - sounds like a fun series!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE these! I've been thinking about doing something similar to our kitchen table and chairs because they're really getting roughed up! It's amazing how fast furniture gets scuffed and ragged with a toddler!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the color you chose for the chairs.

    I am on a no-spending kick for 2013 - not a resolution - just trying to use up what I have. It feels good to make/redo things without spending money. And, I 'm cleaning up the cupboards as I use up what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love, love, love both projects...amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute!! I'm sharing this on my FB page and Google. Love the new series and can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete