Friday, November 30, 2012

DIY Square Boxwood Wreath with Burlap Bow

Pin It
 I'm ending my Holiday DIY Week with my very favorite project to date!  A square boxwood wreath with burlap bow!  Love, love, love this!
 
how to make a square boxwood wreath with burlap bow via housebyhoff.blogspot.com
Square boxwood wreaths are everywhere this holiday season, but the price tags are very high on these beauties!  I was determined to have one myself, but didn't want to pay the $70 (and up) price!

My Supplies:
The square frame came from Goodwill. It originally framed an interesting print, but I just wanted it for its square shape.  The frame was 18" on each side.  The spray paint is Krylon's "Seaweed". I also needed some green floral wire and four pieces of boxwood garland (found at JoAnn).
how to make a square boxwood wreath with burlap bow via housebyhoff.blogspot.com


First I removed the print and glass from the frame and spray painted it.  I needed it to be green so that the frame wouldn't show through the garland.
how to make a square boxwood wreath with burlap bow via housebyhoff.blogspot.com

Next, I attached my first piece of garland to the frame using the green floral wire.  I simply wrapped the garland around (and around, and around...) the frame.  One piece of garland covered about 18" of frame.  I repeated this process until the whole frame was covered!
how to make a square boxwood wreath with burlap bow via housebyhoff.blogspot.com


There!  Beautiful, no?
how to make a square boxwood wreath with burlap bow via housebyhoff.blogspot.com

I found some nice, thick rolls of burlap at Hobby Lobby for half price!  $2.50 a roll!  Whoot!
how to make a square boxwood wreath with burlap bow via housebyhoff.blogspot.com
I used this tutorial to make the bow and attached it to the wreath using more floral wire.
 
how to make a square boxwood wreath with burlap bow via housebyhoff.blogspot.com
The finished product looks great in my holiday vignette! :)

For a tutorial on how to make the burlap JOY banner, click here.

 Thanks for joining me this week for all of the fun DIY projects!  I hope one or two of them inspired you to grab your glue gun and get busy!
 
Follow on Bloglovin

16 comments:

  1. OMG soo pretty! that burlap bow is adorable (and the matching JOY banner too).

    You may have heard, but we are giving away a Silhouette Cameo and free ad space and would love for you to come link up and enter to win! Hope to see you there!

    http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/giveaway-and-humble-brag-link-party-9/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is your wreath gorgeous, but so is your photography! I love anything burlap, so this is right up my alley! Great job, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love this idea! Just pinned it and a new follower! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea using the frame! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. want. that. wreath. now.
    looooove it so much!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your square boxwood wreath! What a great idea to use a frame! Found you at Centsational Girl's holiday party. Have a great weekend!
    Leslie
    houseontheway@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super simple & elegant! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came over from Southern Hospitality - your photography is simply beautiful! I'm in love with anything boxwood, and that burlap banner is adorable. And the pops of red are a perfect touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea and you did a beautiful job. I especially like the look of the burlap bow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful and cleaver too. I've always wanted a boxwood wreath but never splurged on one. Thanks for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! Saw your project in Kate's line up. I'm so excited...I have strands of this garland sitting in the garage waiting for a new project...and this is it! I LOVE your square wreath, and think this will be so fun to have out even after the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You didn't mention the boxwood garland? Is it fake? Did you buy it or is it real?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ann- The boxwood garland is fake and is from JoAnn Fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I did just see it in your tutorial. Sorry!

      Delete
  14. So charming, love it!
    Have a wonderful day and Merry Christmas!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete